For many people, spring offers renewed life and beauty. As the days warm, the cool breeze flows in and the flower bloom, spring should be enjoyed by all. For one in five of us, spring also brings an onset of allergy and asthma symptoms. As the pollen count increases, the beauty of spring can also bring misery and insufferable watery eyes. If this sounds like your version of the season, preparing early may bring the joy back in the springtime.
Visit Your Doctor Early, Spring Allergies Are Coming
Allergies very seldom just go away. If you know you are going to suffer through spring, it is better to visit your doctor early and stock up on your allergy medications. Talk with your doctor about starting your regiment of allergy medications early to battle the pollens and molds. Using non-drowsy antihistamines and nasal sprays 1-2 weeks before your spring season starts can help in minimizing the effects of your allergies.
Prepare Your Home
Not everyone in the family may be affected by allergies, however every family member should be cautious not to trigger the symptoms. As pollen can be carried indoors, preparing your home from spring time intruders is important. A few things to consider include:
- Keeping shoes at the doorway to avoid spreading pollen inside the home.
- Having your children change their clothes as soon as they come inside.
- Keeping windows and doors closed as much as possible to avoid pollen being blown inside.
- Washing clothes often to remove the risk of spreading pollen.
- Keeping the floors, furniture and mold-prone areas clean.
There is no 100% effective way to keep pollen outside when people are in and out. But with a little preparation and caution you can reduce the flare ups of allergy symptoms in the home.
Spring Allergies Are Coming: Use an Air Purifier
With the amount of allergy sufferers, there are products that can help keep the air your breathe pollen free and clean. Air purifiers have come a long way in recent years and offer deep filtration of the air particles in your home. Choosing the right air purifier can also make a huge difference. A few things to look for may be:
- Choose The Type: Do you need a portable, whole-house or room air purifier. Depending on how you intend to use it will depend on which one to purchase. If you choose a portable air purifier, be sure it has a fan; they are more effective than the models without a fan.
- Set Your Price: Clean air doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. Set your price range before looking at your options so you know which options are feasible.
- Choose the Best CADR: Now that you know the type and price of the purifier you want, you need to choose the one with the best Clean Air Delivery Rate or CADR. Any score above 350 is excellent and below 100 is poor.
Know What Sets You Off
Preparing yourself for allergy season is only effective if you know what to prepare for. Different people have different triggers. Knowing what sets you off will help you know what to look out for. Some people are allergic to pollen, grass, mold, or certain plants. Others might get set off by pet dander or dust mites. Research your symptoms and compare them to your everyday surroundings. By process of elimination you may find what trigger affects you.
Allergies are an unfortunate part of biology. As our world changes, more people are affected by common allergy triggers. Spring is fast approaching and you should start preparing for your allergy season early. Keep your must have medications on hand, keep your home and air clean, and enjoy your spring.