Abscesses are accumulation of disintegrated and liquefied tissue called pus that can occur anywhere in the body. Boils are abscesses formed around the hair follicle.
Natural Treatment of Abscesses and Boils
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree is scientifically known as Melaleuca alternifolia. Tea tree oil is widely used for its antimicrobial properties. It also helps to drain the pus
from the wounds. Tea tree oil should be applied topically on the abscess or boil at least three times a day. Another method is to add 10 drops of oil in a half-ounce of water and apply it on the abscess or boil three times daily.
Garlic is scientifically known as Allium sativa. Crush two cloves of garlic and apply on the abscesses and boils. Garlic helps to draw the pus and reduce the pain.
The scientific name of Oregano is Origanum vulgare. According to a study, Oregano has strong antibacterial properties, especially against the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, which causes most of the pus-filled skin infections.
Oregano oil can be applied topically on the abscess, or it can be taken orally either as a capsule or tonic. It should be taken as described on the packing. However, pregnant women should not take oregano internally.
A couple of drops of Colloidal Silver should be applied topically at least four times daily on the boils or abscesses.
Zinc helps in the functioning of immune system and healing of skin infection. 30mg of Zinc along with 2mg of copper should be taken twice daily.
The herb Echinacea, scientifically known as Echinacea purpurea, boosts the functioning of immune system. 3 ml of tincture made from Echinacea should be taken least three times a day. Alternatively, 500mg of Echinacea in the form of capsules or tablets may also be taken four times a day.
Bentonite Clay Pack
Bentonite Clay pack mixed with Goldenseal (Hydrastis Canadensis) powder when applied on the affected area helps to draw out the infection.
Burdock root is scientifically known as Arctium lappa. It is widely used for skin detoxification. 3ml of herbal tincture or 500mg of capsules or tablets should be taken three times daily.
1000mg of Vitamin C along with bioflavonoids should be taken to increase the immune functions and reduce the skin inflammation.
Diet should consist of food that can detoxify the body and clean the tissues. Individuals should
- Drink at least two glasses of water every two hours to clean the body of accumulated toxins.
- Eat food rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids to maintain healthy skin. Almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds are a good source of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids.
- Consume fresh and live unsweetened yogurt if antibiotics are taken. Antibiotics destroy the good bacteria present in the stomach resulting in improper digestion and irregular bowel movement. Yogurt helps to replenish the good bacteria.
- Eat plenty of cold-water fish such as sardines, salmon, herring and mackerel, which are rich in omegy-3 fatty acids.
- Eat lentils, eggs, beans and peas, which are good source of proteins
- Eat grounded flaxseeds, which is rich in essential fatty acids and dietary fiber
- Drink herbal tea, without sugar, three times a day.
Food to avoid
Individuals should avoid taking food that accentuates the skin inflammation and weakens the immune system. Such food includes:
- saturated and hydrogenated fats
- colas, sugar, sweets and chips
- vegetable shortening, lard and margarine
- oily fried food
Carbohydrate raises the level of insulin, which in turn aggravates the skin inflammation.
Homeopathy treatment for Abscesses and Boils
The treatment and dosage depend upon the symptoms and stage of the condition.
Use Belladonna (Atropa Belladonna) when
- boils or abscesses are in initial stage
- there is no pus formation
- burning sensation accompanied by pain, redness and swelling is present
- symptoms peak during midnight
- there is high fever
- symptoms aggravate by touching or shaking
Take Hepar Sulphuris when
- abscesses or boils form heads
- abscesses are extremely sensitive to touch
- pus smells with cheese-like odor
- symptoms exacerbate in cold air or with a cold touch
- pain reduces with warm compress
- sharp pain as if pierced with a needle is present
Treatment with Hepar Sulphuris drains the pus out from the abscesses or boils.
Use Lachesis when
- boils are bluish or purple in color
- boils are bloody and painful accompanied with burning sensation
- symptoms worsen during night
- abscesses or boils are sensitive to touch, pressure and heat
- symptoms are mostly felt on the left side of the body
Mercurius Solubilis or Vivus should be taken when
- there is discharge from boils or abscesses
- there is stinging and burning sensation
- foul smell emanates from discharge
- there is swelling in glands
- abscesses become sensitive to light
- abscesses worsens during the night
Silica (Silicea) should be used along with or following Hepar Sulphuris when
- there is no discharge of pus from boils or abscess
- boils do not heal
- warm compresses on the boils feel good
In case of acute abscesses or boils, dosage of 30C potency shall be taken four times a day. For chronic abscesses or boils, dosage of 6x, 12x, 6C, 12C or 30C shall be taken two times a day for a period of two weeks. The treatment should be stopped when the condition improves.
The body can be detoxified of poisonous elements by following a vegetable and fruit juice diet. Fasting for three days with juices made from vegetables such as carrots and beetroots, and from fruits such as apples, oranges, and berries helps to flush out all the toxic build-up from the body. Juices from wheatgrass, spirulina, barley grass and chlorella are also helpful in detoxification of the body.
Vitamin E improves the functioning of immune system and helps to maintain healthy skin. 400IU of Vitamin E supplement may be taken twice daily. Similarly, Vitamin A supplements may be taken as instructed on the container. In addition, green food supplements made from chlorella, spirulina and wheatgrass may also be taken.
Applying the hot and cold compresses alternatively for thirty seconds each on the affected area can reduce the pain and drain out the pus.
Stress causes undue harm to the body in general and to skin, in particular. It not only worsens the existing skin conditions but also creates new problems. Therefore, management of stress is one of the crucial aspects of treatment of abscesses and boils. Stress can be reduced by prayer, exercise, reading, participating in outdoor activity, spending time with family and doing other constructive activities.
Add one drop of red thyme to a hot compress and apply it on the abscesses or boils twice daily.
Bach Flower Remedies
Early in the morning stand under the sun for fifteen minutes daily. Sunrays have antibacterial properties. However, care should be taken not the burn the skin.
- If feeling disgusted or shameful because of the skin appearance, then take Crab Apple.
- If feeling low in self-confidence or embarrassment due to the skin condition, then try Larch.
- If feeling helpless or in despair or the spirits are low because of acne or other visible infection, then take Gorse.
- Select the remedies as per the symptoms and place 10 drops under the tongue. Hold the drops for thirty seconds and swallow.